Wednesday 26 September 2012

Waiting

While I'm waiting for the paperwork to be signed and the hard work to start, I'm having lots of fun thinking about fencing, shelters, hen houses and chicken/pig varieties. I am so excited about my pigs and chickens. I've set myself quite sensible achievable goals for the first 6 months, I think. First
job is build a pig pen with a shelter, then get two weaners. They are going to clear the ground for me, so I can move the pigs to another spot after Christmas, and grow a few veg on the cleared patch. I am restricted as to what I can grow this year, in the freshly turned and manured earth, but next year I should have a free reign and get lots of lovely veggies. I may build some raised beds too. I also want my chicken house on site in the spring, and I'm having a great time looking at all the different types of chicken out there. I love Brahma's, and Cochins, Maran's and Wyandotte's, but in reality I will just go to our local breeder and choose 6 birds that are all slightly different so that the children can tell them apart.

2 comments:

  1. I am so, so envious. A hugely daunting thing but, as always, you always seem to approach things with huge positivity.
    So glad I can comment now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Thursday! You know I like to keep myself busy.

    ReplyDelete